Division of urology
Urology is a surgical subspecialty that deals with the management of surgical and medical diseases of male and female patients’ urinary tracts, in addition to male reproductive problems.
Our vision is to provide a cutting edge, high standards patient-centered health care that follows the international standards of care for the patients of Jordan and international tertiary referral cases.
We are pioneers in Jordan in providing the minimal invasive treatment of stones, kidney transplantation and advanced laparoscopic general and oncological procedures.
Our faculty have a high level of experience based on a certified globally-recognized training in different disciplines of general urology, endourology and advanced laparoscopic oncological procedures. The practice is a consultant led with a dedicated team of surgical residents and clinical fellows.
Our urology unit is well equipped with all endourology and laparoscopy instruments. Our aim is to have state of the art unit to satisfy our senior well trained experienced urologists, dealing with most difficult cases from Jordan and surrounding Arab countries. It allows to perform all kind of surgery, such as radical prostatectomy, partial and radical nephrectomy, hernioplasty, pyeloplasty, adrenalectomy and others both open and laparoscopically.
Conditions treated in our department:
Urologists in Jordan Hospital diagnose and treat problems involving male and female urinary tract, and male reproductive organs.
- Benign prostatic enlargement which is common in men over 50yrs causing disturbing symptoms
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in old men. It is curable if diagnosed and treated early.
- Bladder cancer is one of the common cancers, especially in men over 50 years and is much more common in smokers
- Kidney cancer. With modern radiology machines, most kidney tumors are discovered very early by chance, and treated with excellent results.
- Testicular tumor. Common in 20-40 years old males. It has a cure rate of 95% if diagnosed and treated in proper time.
- Kidney and ureteric stones are common, affecting 1 in 6-10 people, more in men.
Treatment has changed significantly during the last 30 years, with the treatment options available in Jordan Hospital
- Extra-corporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL); Urinary stone disintegration without surgical intervention as a day case procedure
- Percutaneous nephrolithotomy; Kidney stone is disintegrated and removed through a 1-cm cut in the back
- Ureteroscopy & laser fragmentation; for kidney and ureteric stones without any incision.
- Erectile dysfunction (Impotence); is a common problem in males over 50 years of age. Investigations for the cause are carried out. Penile prosthesis, if needed, is a common procedure in our unit.
- Pyronie’s disease; causing penile curvature, pain and impotence affecting men above 50 years. We treat patients from Jordan and Arab countries with excellent results.
- Reconstructive procedures; for the urinary tract organs and its fistulas
- Male infertility
- Living related kidney transplant we are proud to be pioneers in organ transplant in Jordan
Mens’s health & bladder care unit:
Provides a variety of special diagnostic procedures by Dr. Said Basri since 1998 for patient referred by urologists.
- Penile Doppler Ultrasonography for evaluation of erectile dysfunction
- Trans-Rectal Prostate Ultrasonography and Biopsy for evaluation of prostate tumors
- Uroflowmetry for evaluation of lower urinary tract obstruction
- Urodynamic study for evaluation of neurogenic bladder
In addition, the unit provides advanced treatment options for certain cases.
- Intracvesical BCG instillation for bladder cancer
- Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation for neurogenic bladder
- Smoking cessation program cold beam laser