Welcome to the Department of Anaesthesia at Jordan Hospital. The department has experienced steady growth over the last 25 years and is currently comprised of 12 full-time consultants and 12 residents.
The department is equipped with the most advanced anaesthetic machines and state of the art monitoring systems to ensure safety of patients under anaesthesia.
Our principal responsibility is to provide anaesthesia to patients scheduled for both surgeries and procedures to ensure patients’ comfort and safety. This may be done by a local anaesthetic where the patient remains awake, a local anaesthetic with sedation to make the patient drowsy or by a full general anaesthetic where the patient will be asleep.
The Department of Anaesthesia at Jordan Hospital comprises a team of highly trained anaesthetists dedicated to deliver the highest quality of perioperative care to patients for a variety of surgical disciplines. The anaesthesia team is also involved in other aspects of patient care such as acute and chronic pain management and pre-operative assessment. Anaesthetic services are available round the clock, seven days a week to deliver anaesthesia requirements for emergency surgeries.
Our major strength is people and several members of the department who are in significant leadership roles within the hospital and in charge of the endurance of the finest and safe anaesthetic services.
Procedures or operations offered by the program:
- The Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management provides a wide range of services in different areas in the hospital including:
- General Surgery
- Cardiac surgery
- Liver transplant and hepatobiliary surgery
- Kidney transplants surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Interventional radiology
- Endoscopy unit
- Interventional Pain management
- Minor Emergency room cases
- 24-hour Emergency Operating Theatre
ANESTHESIA RESIDENCY PROGRAM
The Anesthesia Residency Program at Jordan Hospital offers the breadth of clinical education that covers the full array of anesthesia subspecialties in and out of the operating rooms. Residents who aspire to seek more advanced training after graduation will be well-prepared to seize such opportunities. Opportunities exist for further training in areas of sub-specialty anesthesia practice, as well as Trauma, Palliative Care, Acute and Chronic Pain Medicine and Research Methodology.
There are abundant opportunities for residents to grow and engage more deeply within the process of patient care such as thorough undergraduate medical education, simulation, or participation in the development of protocols that enhance patient safety, efficiency, or interdepartmental collaboration and education of other departments’ staff.
The Department of Anesthesia at Jordan Hospital is a collegial and cohesive department which values and promotes professionalism and enjoys an excellent track record for resident success in both local and international examinations and, more importantly, subsequent clinical practice. Our goal will remain to provide a high standard of education in a mutual environment while endeavoring to apply new technologies and educational experience of the learner.
Residency Program Strengths
- A strong simulation program, where residents have frequent opportunities to learn in a customised educational academic program.
- The opportunity to learn more about research infrastructure to support success, both for the resident who is interested in research, as well as for the resident who is research-phobic.
- A finely-tuned academic program, which is tailored to each clinical year; each session is led by an expert consultant. Our Curriculum Chair works to ensure a balanced curriculum that is responsive to resident feedback.
- Call schedule that addresses fatigue-management and is tracked closely to ensure fairness and transparency for all residents.
- Clinical exposure to all types of anesthesia throughout the residency program rather than just during specific limited rotations.
- Strong support of exam preparation with sufficient MCQ practice throughout the year.
Diseases treated by program:
Recent advances and excellence in Pain Interventional ProceduresThe service includes both diagnostic and therapeutic ultrasound and fluoroscopic guided procedures directed by certified pain physicians to deliver state-of-the-art pain treatment modalities.
The pain team covers patients’ needs for both chronic and acute pain and it includes:
- Diagnostic and therapeutic nerve blocks.
- Epidural blocks for chronic pain.
- Cancer pain management.
- 24/7 epidural service at the labor ward.
- Patient controlled analgesia / PCA for acute postoperative pain.